In this article we briefly describe the main points to be considered when choosing and buying hardware for Agisoft Metashape.
General recommendations for hardware for Agisoft Metashape:
• Windows 7 SP 1 or later (64 bit), Windows Server 2008 R2 or later (64 bit), macOS High Sierra or later, Debian/Ubuntu with GLIBC 2.19+ (64 bit)
• Intel Core 2 Duo processor or equivalent
• 8 GB of RAM
• Windows 7 SP 1 or later (64 bit), Windows Server 2008 R2 or later (64 bit), macOS Mojave or later, Debian/Ubuntu with GLIBC 2.19+ (64 bit)
• Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 processor (3.0+ GHz)
• Discrete NVIDIA or AMD GPU (4+ GB VRAM)
• 32 GB of RAM
When choosing hardware from several options, we recommend the following order of comparison of the system parameters:
1. At first, look at the amount of RAM, choose the option with the higher amount (32 and 64 GB should be enough), or at least keep the possibility of later upgrade by installing additional RAM modules.
2. After that pay attention to the processor (CPU). We recommend choosing the option with 3.0 GHz and higher with at least 8 CPU cores.
3. Then compare graphics cards, considering the following parameters:
3.1 Amount of VRAM - if you choose between 6 GB and 8 GB, we recommend selecting 8 GB (basically, the option with the higher amount of VRAM).
3.2. Number of CUDA cores (for NVIDIA graphic cards) or shader processor units (for AMD graphic cards). Higher number is better. Usually we recommend to have at least 1200 - 1500 CUDA cores / shader processor units per GPU, in case of multi-GPU setup. Also you can compare the theoretical TFLOPs value for single precision computations (here also higher value would result in better Metashape performance for GPU-supported tasks).
Please see two examples below and from these two options, based on the comparison described above, we suggest choosing option 1: